Rhinoplasty (Nose Shaping)
Before & After Gallery
Be sure to view our Before and After Photo Gallery of body procedures to see real patient results at H/K/B.click here
Rhinoplasty is a very popular procedure at H/K/B. This procedure utilizes techniques such as cartilage removal, nasal bone manipulation and/or tip shaping. It is designed to improve the appearance of the nose and, in some cases, to improve breathing. Two techniques, closed and open, are utilized but most commonly, the open technique is used.
In a closed rhinoplasty technique, incisions are hidden inside the nose. This is possible when the bridge and/or dorsum of the nose are the issue. It can also be used in cases of a deviated septum.
The open technique allows for all cartilage and bone components from top to tip to be clearly visualized and accurately shaped. This includes an abundance of procedures to correct everything from dorsal hump to flaring nostrils!
The scar crosses the columella between the nostrils and extends into the folds usually undetectable within six to twelve weeks. There is usually swelling following a rhinoplasty, which may persist for as long as six months, however the new shape is visible upon splint removal approximately 5 days after your procedure. Numbness of the tip, which is temporary, may also be experienced.
During the recovery period after a rhinoplasty, bruising and swelling usually occur as well as nasal congestion (a stuffy nose). While this can be uncomfortable, most patients are surprised by how quickly it begins to heal after a few days.
The cost of rhinoplasty is determined by many factors.
- Things that are very important that should be discussed with your plastic surgeon include what type of anesthesia provider is caring for you?
- Is it a board certified anesthesiologist such as what we have at H/K/B or is it a nurse anesthetist who is normally in the hospital setting is supervised by the anesthesiologist. Having a board certified anesthesiologist is the goal standard by which all others are judged and provides the highest level of safety and care, but comes with a slightly increased cost as you could imagine.
- Another question asked is, is the rhinoplasty certified? There are only a few certifying agencies that can certify the surgical facility. You should be sure that your procedure is being performed in an accredited facility. Accreditation Boards include AAAASF, which is the American Association for the Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Center, AAAAHC, the American Association for the Accreditation of Health Care Facilities, and JACHO, the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Hospital Facilities. All of these organizations are recognized as proper certifying bodies, and the surgical facility should be certified by one of these entities.
- Another question to ask is, is the plastic surgeon and the staff advanced cardiac life support certified? Although this is not required having the physician and all clinical staff certified in advanced cardiac life support such as we have at H/K/B, ensures the highest level of supervision, evaluation, and care of all patients should there ever be an emergency.
- One should consider asking for tour of the surgical facility. Is the surgical facility properly outfitted? Is there proper cleanliness, proper lighting, and proper space for the procedure as well as the recovery room and, overnight facilities, which are commonly necessary following important rhinoplasty and body contouring procedures? At H/K/B, we are proud of our fully certified surgical facility and are excited to have any prospective patient tour our facility and they have all universally found to be quite impressive and outstanding.
These are important questions to ask when considering the cost of rhinoplasty surgery. Rhinoplasty is an important procedure and needs to be performed properly in a proper facility with proper personnel. These important issues will help ensure that you have a successful high-quality outcome.
- How many follow-up visits are needed after rhinoplasty surgery?
Answer: Follow-up visits vary per surgeon, but typically range from 2- 8 visits.
- When are the splints removed after rhinoplasty surgery?
Answer: Splints are removed between 5-7 days.
- When are the stitches removed after rhinoplasty surgery?
Answer: External sutures are removed at 5 days.
- When is it okay after rhinoplasty surgery to run or lift weights?
Answer: Recovery takes about 1-2 weeks and exercise can begin shortly after.
- Is it possible for the nose to grow after rhinoplasty surgery?
Answer: Rhinoplasty surgery is usually performed on adult sized noses. Accordingly, the nasal structures have already reached their adult size. If performed during adolescence, the nose should grow to its adult size.
- What kind of material is used when grafts are needed to rebuild the nose?
Answer: Either cartilage or bone is used to help rebuild the nose. These grafts can be taken from the nose itself, the patient ‘s own rib or ear, or through cadaver cartilage.
- What sort of surgeon is preferable?
Answer: A surgeon that is a member of the ASPS and has performed a larger quantity of rhinoplasty surgery is preferable.
- Check out our Before and After Photo Gallery for real Rhinoplasty (Nose Shaping) results at H/K/B.
- Are you arriving from outside of Charlotte? Learn about our Out of Town Concierge Service.